Goddess Knitters

18 September 2009

...harvest...

We have had grapes in our garden for some time. We have red, white and blue table grapes but have never been able to harvest any. Cue the big yellow lab.......



This is Tucker and he loves to eat. Currently he is 13 years old and in my memory has never missed a meal. When he was a puppy he would raid the strawberries we had planted in the garden. We never had many to eat ourselves, but he was pretty full of them! He also would sit right next to me when I would pick green beans and wait until I dropped one. He loved them! There were many time when my husband would come in the house and say, "Tucker is in the grapes again." I'd look out and see just his big yellow rear end sticking out of the vines. Needless to say, he ate everything before we could pick it.

As Tucker has gotten older, his "grazing range" has gotten smaller. He no longer ventures out to the garden to see what is available. He's pretty content to lay on the back porch and wait for the next meal.

And so, this is the first year I have had anything to show for the grape vines that have been there for 7 years.......



And WOW! We have more than we could possible eat on our own!

This is just one of the bowls that I have picked. They are small, but beautiful in color and pretty good tasting! Way better than those store bought grapes! We have so many that I have taken to giving them to the neighbors! I never thought I would see the day.

But don't worry about Tucker. I still drop a handful in his dish every now and then. He's kind of slow to get up and eat them, but the dish is always empty.
































Labels:

6 Comments:

  • At 11:59 AM, Blogger Discoknits said…

    Tucker is so beautiful. And congrats on the grapes - yum!

     
  • At 7:35 PM, Anonymous marcy said…

    wow and awwww. so sweet! mine is 14 and her bro was too, if you catch my drift.

    sweet pup!

     
  • At 8:15 AM, Anonymous Sam said…

    What a cutie he is. Mine are 13 & 14. It's sad to see them slow down but they do get in a lot less trouble.

    PS - GO Beavs!

     
  • At 5:50 PM, Anonymous Kristin said…

    What a sweet old guy! Your story put a huge smile on my face, and I found myself nodding while reading it. I lost my 15-year-old Bassett this summer. Every year he did the same... though tiny cherry tomatoes were his all-time favorite. I grow his favorite variety every year and probably always will. Please give Tucker a handful of grapes and some belly rubs from me too.

    Thanks for the smiles!

    Kristin (sock-camper)

     
  • At 6:28 AM, Blogger Susie said…

    Those grapes look delish! Tucker's a beauty.

     
  • At 8:56 PM, Blogger pupperwupper said…

    I feel I must tell you ...there is new information that grapes and raisins are harmful to dogs...there is some info on the ASPCA web site and other reputable outlets, also my trusted Vet says it's true.(some people have thought it to be a hoax because some grapes are more harmful than others and after feeding grapes they haven't seen any problems) As an owner of 2 chocolate labs ( one living and one grape eater that died at age 12!, I didn't know back then or I wouldn't have let her have them!) and a Schipperke who has been taken off his grape allotment, I thought you'd like to know about this so that the new puppy can stay off the grapes! He's cute!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home